I wish I'd said it first:

"The world is a stage but the play is badly cast"
Oscar Wilde

"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away."
shing xiong

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
John Wayne

"Life is a great, big canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
Danny Kaye

Thursday, January 13, 2011

A little about photography

Hi. Besides this blog, I have a fairly new blog dedicated to photography 2011 • A Picture A Day • A Photo Journal - It isn't meant as any kind of professional photo blog, just a journal. But, I do have some training in professional photography. Although any pictures from that part of my life were taken with a Nikon FG using numerous lenses and mostly Kodachrome film. Now, it is impossible to use that combination. Kodachrome film is not produced and no one, nowhere could develop it, even if they wanted to since the chemicals are no longer available.

Now, like everyone else, I use digital cameras. They are easy. They are cheap. They are fast and you get instant results. No more waiting to see proof sheets or going through piles of slides to pick the best of the best. Now, it's as easy as plugging a USB cable into your computer and downloading the pictures you took that day. Or if you need to, send them wirelessly from the camera to the computer.

I was never happy with the quality of the photos from my previous iPhones. I've had them all. I'm an Apple Geek. But when I got my iPhone 4 as my christmas gift this year, I saw real potential for getting some fantastic shots and I was inspired to start that new blog where I publish a picture each and every day. This means that not all of the photos are fantastic. That wasn't the point of doing the blog. The point was, to keep a record, a journal of the whole year.

To challenge myself, I used the following exercise; I would stand in one spot and make myself take photos within a 50 foot radius. I could not go outside that area. I found that there are a lot of interesting things all around us at any given time. Then I made the area smaller and smaller. I allowed only 20 feet to wander and then down to 10 feet. The exercise forced me to find something of interest to photograph. It is an excellent way to see beauty in almost anything.

No comments: